New Vacancy: Venue Staff Lagos
Nigeria is the largest British Council exams business in the Sub Saharan Africa region. It administers exams in four subject areas: Schools, Professional/Vocational, and Educational on behalf of UK institutions and IELTS. The Nigeria team comprises 19 people and are based mainly in Lagos with four in Abuja and three in Port Harcourt.
The post holder will be required to work within the south west region of Nigeria. Note that the post holder might be required to invigilate exams at locations different from their base.
Read more about this vacancy here.
Notice to External Candidates!
Applying for a job at the British Council just got a whole lot easier. We have just launched our new jobs portal (jobs.britishcouncil.org) All of our current vacancies will now be posted to this site. Highlights include:
* Online application form
* Applicant account so that you can track the progress of your application at any time
* Register for vacancy alerts so you are emailed the next time a job matching your search criteria comes up
* Submit a speculative CV to our bank if no vacancy that suits your skill set is currently advertised.
You can view vacancies now, without creating an account. You will be asked to create an account the first time you apply for a job or set up a vacancy alert.
I have applied for vacancies in The British Council and I have never been shortlisted. What am I getting wrong?
A couple of reasons why people don’t get shortlisted include:
1. Applying for jobs using their resumes. The British Council does not accept resumes. We accept only applications submitted using our standard application form. This is so that all applicants can be rated consistently.
2. Not providing a supporting statement in the application. The purpose of this section is to give you an opportunity to say why you are interested in the job what you would bring to it. When writing your supporting statement please refer to the role profile and link your experience, qualifications and interests (if applicable) to the requirements. Your supporting statement should be succinct and to the point
3. Not meeting the essential requirement of the job in areas of experience, skills & knowledge and qualifications.
4. Failure to adhere to application instructions. This is always provided as text on our jobs webpage of our website.
If I get shortlisted for a vacancy, what usually comes next?
You will be expected to take a written test if you have applied for an administrative or a junior management role. The test comprises numerical, organizational and writing skills. You will be required to get a minimum of 12 marks in each section to pass.
Will I be informed if I am not successful with the test?
Yes, you will be informed within 2 weeks after taking the test on how you performed.
In the event that I am successful, how do I proceed through the recruitment process?
Following a success in the written test, you would normally be invited for an interview. The panel would usually consist of a minimum of three panelists.
The interview is a behavioural type one, where Interview questions are generally designed to tap applicant attributes that are specifically relevant to the job for which the person is applying. The job-relevant applicant attributes that the questions assess are thought to be necessary for one to successfully perform on the job.
The job-relevant constructs that will be assessed in the interview can be classified into three categories:
General traits; panel will be investigating applicants motives, goals, person-organization fit, capacity to learn and openness to new experiences.
Experiential factors; questions will be asked to scrutinize candidates’ job relevant knowledge derived from prior experience, education and training.
Core job elements. Tests applicants leaned knowledge, ability to complete tasks required to do the job and willingness to exert the effort required to do the job.
Feedback is also provided to applicants within 2 weeks after the interview. In the case where you are not successful following an interview, feedback will be provided, stating areas of possible improvement.
An offer will be made to the successful candidate, subject to positive reference from named referee and medical certification.