Professional Linguistics Assessment Board (PLAB)
British Council administers the Professional Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) exams on behalf of the UK’s General Medical Council. The PLAB test is the main route by which international medical graduates demonstrate that they have the necessary skills and knowledge to practice medicine in the UK. For more information about PLAB, please visit the General Medical Council’s website.
Important information for applicants in Nigeria:
- All candidates should complete the registration forms online
- All candidates must have a valid international passport
- All candidates must have a valid IELTS test report. This report must be valid up until the day of your PLAB exam. Your IELTS report is valid for two years from the day of issue.
- To be eligible to sit a PLAB exam you must have achieved an IELTS score of 7 or more in all of the following categories: overall, reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
Please visit the GMC’s PLAB website for more guidance about the exam, and access revision materials on the dedicated PLAB revision website.
Dates and locations
Venues: PLAB exams are administered in Lagos only.
Registration dates: registration and exam dates for 2013 have not been released yet. Please contact GMC for more information.
The exam fee is £145.
If you have applied to take a PLAB test before, you will already have a GMC reference number. If you already have a MyGMC account, you can log in and make your application in the My Registration section.
First time applicants should set up an account online and book online, starting here.
For more information about applying to sit a PLAB exam, please visit the ‘Before you apply’ section of the GMC website.
Please refer to the GMC website for the current registration fees.
Please refer to our Examinations Refund Policy.
What to bring with you
Identification – international passport
Statement of entry
Soft B or HB pencils, eraser and rough paper
Pens, pencils in a CLEAR bag
No electronic devices. e.g. mobile phone, etc
The certificates awarded to Cambridge ESOL candidates are recognised by thousands of educational organisations and employers throughout the world as reliable evidence of the level of English the learner has achieved. For more information please visit the ESOL website.
If your questions haven’t been answered, please call the GMC contact centre:
Monday to Friday: 8am – 6pm
Saturday: 9am – 5pm
- Outside the UK: +44 161 923 6602
- Inside the UK: 0161 923 6602
You can also reach GMC by:
- by email: email@example.com (If you email, please provide your GMC reference number. You will receive feedback within five (5) working days)
- by using the GMC online webform
The British Council and the examining boards take all reasonable steps to provide continuity of service. We feel sure you will understand, however, that we cannot be held responsible for any interruptions caused by circumstances beyond our control. If examinations or their results are disrupted, cancelled or delayed, every effort will be made to resume normal service as soon as possible. The British Council’s liability will be limited to the refund of the registration fee or retesting at a later date.
Fees: All fees are valid for the current registration period only and are subject to change. Please check the relevant web pages for the latest fees before registering for the next session of exams.