The first Representative of British Council Nigeria, Norman Lloyd-Williams arrived in Lagos in December 1943
The official launch date of British Council in Nigeria on 8 June 1944. The old Exhibition Hall on the Marina was lent as a temporary premise to the first British Council West Africa representative, Professor W.M. Macmillan; which was called the ‘British Council House’ with over 1000 members swiftly enrolled.
The Council leased 7 and 9 Customs Street to house the Council centre and offices, and the new Lagos Public Library (funded by the Colonial Government and formed by combining the Council’s Lagos Library with various independent library collections) and a Children’s Library in 1946
Nigeria gained independence on 1 October 1960; In advance of this, the Council was asked to run the Public Library Development Scheme – a continuance of our existing policy. Five grants were provided by the British Government for this purpose in 1960.
£34,000 and £12,000 respectively were granted to Eastern and Northern Nigeria by the British Government for the establishment of libraries in Port Harcourt and Kaduna in 1962.