You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
We have been made aware of fraudulent websites pretending to be the British Council IELTS registration sites. Please be advised that they are not associated with us in any form. We are also not responsible for the content available on these websites.
To ensure your details are safe, please only book your test by clicking on the registration link here on this site or on the TakeIELTS website.
Before you enter your personal details, please check that you are using our secure online registration system. You can do this by making sure the website address starts with “https://”. In addition fraudulent sites may use incorrect spellings in the website address, so check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
If you are not sure, please use this link to book your IELTS test
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1 READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read the Information for Candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2 DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test. Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using bank drafts.
5. PREPARE AND UPLOAD YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT
Candidates can now upload sanned (.jpeg, .gif and .png formats) copy of bio data page of their international passport on the portal while registering. Please be informed that you must upload your international passport before you can complete your registration. UPLOAD your identification document directly to the registration site. Your scanned identity document must contain:
1. Your I.D number
2. Your signature
3. Your date of birth
4. Your photograph
5. Your I.D expiry date
Your scanned document must be in JPEG, GIF or PNG format. The dimensions must be smaller than 1600 by 1600 pixels and the file size should be 1.5MB or less. Please note that if you do not upload a valid international passport, your registration will not be processed and you will pay a fee to be transferred to the next test session. Also note that we will not accept Identification document (international passport) sent via email.
6 PAY FOR YOUR TEST DATE
The fee is NGN68,000. You can pay for your test via bank transfer from Guaranty Trust Bank, First Bank and Zenith Bank.
The payment instructions can be found on How to pay for IELTS exams or If you are unable to make payment via bank transfer option, raise a bank draft in favour of British Council from any Nigerian Bank and submit at any of the British Council offices in Nigeria.
7. COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
Candidates who pay offline should send their printed application summary, bank draft and a copy of international passport via courier or take them in person to their closest British Council office.
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
8. AFTER YOU REGISTER
After registering and payment, you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS
We will send you a confirmation email 4-10 days before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address. If you do not receive your confirmation, please contact your local British Council office.
For more information please contact our Exams Services at email@example.com.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
Please note that if you cancel your test session, you will be refunded 75% of the fee, as a 25% administrative fee will be charged. Should you cancel less than five weeks before the test, British Council has the right to retain the whole fee.
If you transfer your test date, you will also be charged an administrative fee of 25% of the test fee.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus an administration fee of 25% of the test fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please contact us. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
Test dates can be transferred five weeks prior to the Test date under the following circumstances: serious illness, bereavement, hardship/trauma, and military service. (Documentary evidence must be provided). You will be charged 25% of the test fee for test date transfer once your application has been approved.
Notice to applicants
- Due to technical issues relating to online payment for IELTS test, we encourage candidates to pay for Standard IELTS, IELTS for UKVI and Life Skills test via bank transfer from Guaranty Trust Bank, First Bank and Zenith Bank. The payment instructions can be found on How to pay for IELTS exams or If you are unable to make payment via bank transfer option, raise a bank draft in favour of British Council from any Nigerian Bank and submit at any of the British Council offices in Nigeria.
- IELTS results can only be collected on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Candidates in Port Harcourt can only collect their results on Wednesdays. We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.
- Candidates are expected to upload a copy of the bio-data pages of their international passport into the system at the point of registering for the test. We will not process registration if candidates have failed to upload their international passport. Also note that we will not accept international passport sent via email.
- Some banks may charge various fees for online card transactions, we strongly advise that you check the policy of your relevant card issuing authority or check with your bank before proceeding with online payment. British Council does not charge/receive more than the required amount for the test.
- Test fee payment of NGN 68,000. See payment instructions here.