In order to lay a solid foundation for the Girls Education Advocacy and Research Network (GEARn), it is necessary to understand what policies exist in Nigeria on girls’ education. The proposed review will explore policy dimensions, features and provisions that generally guide interventions that are directed towards addressing girls' education development challenges in Nigeria.
The Girls Education Advocacy and Research Network (GEARn) is envisioned as a key tool for increasing qualitative and quantitative research in Nigeria on gender and education. It seeks to generate evidence on underlying issues around girls’ education and explore possible ways to address known socio-economic and local practices that affect girls’ education development. The network will build on previous research conducted by the British Council, including the 2012 Gender in Nigeria report and the 2014 Gender Disparity in Basic Education report.
The purpose of this consultancy is to ultimately support the review of the Gender in Basic Education Policy of the Federal Ministry of Education by the Girls’ Education Advocacy and Research Network (GEARn) convened by the British Council. Please download terms of reference for more details.
- Open to individuals, companies, research and academic institutions based in Nigeria or internationally.
- The consultant, or, at least, one team member if joint applications are being made, must have a minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience in gender and development issues, preferably in the gender and education field.
- Must possess relevant academic qualifications at Masters or Doctorate level in social sciences, policy studies or gender studies.
- Knowledge of the policy development process and environment in Nigeria at federal level is desirable.
- Previous experience in policy development and review.
- Track record of peer reviewed journals publications on gender, education and policy issues
Interested bidders should send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight (WAT) on 27th January 2016. In addition to addressing the criteria above, the proposal should include:
- detailed CVs for all team members
- a proposed methodology to meet the research
- objectives a preliminary work plan (reflecting your own availability)
- budget detailing consultancy days and any travel costs
- Sample of previous similar work and two references
Please provide also a capacity statement highlighting your area of experience and expertise with particular focus on key criteria above.