Architect: Sir Armstrong Whitworth
The structure was designed and built by Sir Armstrong Whitworth in 1922 and opened by Sir Hugh Clifford who became Governor General of a unified Nigeria after Lord Lugard retired. At that time the emoluments of the General Manager of the Railway were more than those of the Governor General and when he was away the GM of the Railway took over as being the second most senior official in the territory. The workshops are very impressive structures with travelling cranes able to carry up to 40tons. The floors are covered with pitch pine wood blocks to avoid damage to heavy steel components.