We create opportunities for people in Nigeria, in Sub-Saharan Africa and around the world. We help societies achieve change in education, skills, enterprise, civil society and justice.
The British Council Nigeria has been managing international development projects for over 70 years, working with donor organisations, ministries, foundations, and private sector partners.
Our strong local knowledge and relationships have enabled us to develop a solid understanding of the challenges facing people in Nigeria. This understanding paired with our global expertise enables us to deliver effective international development solutions that will help Nigeria achieve sustainable change.
International development sectors
Click below for a list or our projects in each sector.
Education and schools
Raising standards and increasing access to quality education
- Connecting Classrooms - The international school linking programme is managed by the British Council and jointly funded with the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
- School Leadership Management Programme - We offer professional development for school heads, and access to international professional head teacher networks.
- Badiliko Digital Hubs - In partnership with Microsoft, we are working with schools across Sub-Saharan Africa to launch 80 Digital Hubs, giving teachers, students and the wider community access to ICT. Find out more about the 21 Digital Hubs in Nigeria.
- The Education Sector Support Programme in Nigeria (ESSPIN) - We partner with Cambridge Education to help the government use its own resources for the education sector more efficiently.
Promoting dialogue and collaboration
- Going Global - Our annual conference offers an open forum for global leaders of international education to discuss issues facing the international education community.
- Researcher Links - We launched a new five-year programme to encourage international research collaboration between young researchers from the UK and eighteen countries around the world.
- Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships Plan - Through this international programme Commonwealth member governments offer scholarships and fellowships to citizens of Commonwealth countries. We manage the overseas services for scholars and alumni.
- Services for International Education Marketing - We work with UK education institutions to attract international students.
- Education Intelligence - Our Education Intelligence service provides UK clients with cutting-edge data, analysis and knowledge about international higher education in order to attract overseas students.
Skills and entrepreneurship
Improving employability skills, promoting entrepreneurship, and supporting enterprise (social enterprise) development
- Enterprise Challenge - Our online competition, developed in partnership with Virgin Atlantic Airways, provides mentoring, training and funding opportunities to young enterprising Nigerians wishing to develop their ideas or grow their businesses and networks.
- Universities, Employability and Inclusive Development Study - We have commissioned the Institute of Education at the University of London to undertake research that aims to contribute to the development of university systems in Africa, including Nigeria, and the UK.
- Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas Ltd. Post Graduate Scholarship Scheme - We manage a post-graduate scholarship scheme on behalf of he Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas Company Limited creating opportunities for Nigerian graduates in oil and gas sectors at universities in the UK.
Justice, security and conflict resolution
Strengthening the rule of law, access to justice and conflict resolution frameworks
Governance and civil society
Encouraging collaboration to develop inclusive, cohesive and accountable societies
- Gender in Nigeria Report 2012 - We commissioned a study on the status of women and adolescent girls in Nigeria with the aim of influencing policy and attitudes that result in more equitable outcomes.
- Active Citizens - Our global programme works in partnership with civil society organisations to build trust and understanding within and across communities.
- Premier Skills - This partnership between the Premier League and the British Council uses football as a tool to engage with and develop the skills of young people.
Contact us to find out more about our international development work in Nigeria.