Before you book your test
- Make sure you have a form of valid ID (International passport) at hand, as you will need to upload a clear photocopy of it when you book your test. Please note that candidates under 18 years of age have to supply written consent by a parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
- Download and read our Information for Candidates which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for test takers under the age of 16.
- Pay for your test. You can pay for your test either through a bank draft or via bank transfer from Guaranty Trust Bank, First Bank and Zenith Bank using the appropriate under-listed account numbers, plus the code for the month of exams (table below) and last two digits of your international passport
- 995102 to take IELTS Abuja, Benin, Ilorin, Kano or Enugu
- 995202 to take IELTS test in Lagos, Abeokuta, Calabar or Ibadan
- 995302 to take IELTS Port Harcourt
|Month of Exam||Month Code|
Example, the full account number for Abuja IELTS exams in April for a candidate with passport number ending 31 will be 9951020131
Please enter the following:
- Select Standard Chartered Bank as the beneficiary bank. The account name is British Council.
- In the remark field, enter the full reference number then the name of the candidate e.g. NG150-127815-2630 - Abanga Chinenye Chukwu.
- After completing the transfer, please send evidence of fund transfer, account holder’s name, IELTS reference number and candidate name to firstname.lastname@example.org within 24hours
- If you are unable to make payment via bank transfer option, please pay NGN75,000 by Banker's draft addressed to British Council. We accept bank drafts drawn from any Nigerian bank therefore you do not need bank account numbers to buy a bank draft. Please visit any Nigerian Bank and request to buy a bank draft in favour of British Council.
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank draft via courier or proxy with the rest of your registration documents to any of the British Council offices in Nigeria.
IELTS test date confirmation
Once you have completed the booking process, you will receive a confirmation giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
Your Speaking test may be scheduled on the same day as the other sections, or on a different day within a 7-day window before or after your main test day. The test centre will send you a confirmation for the Speaking Test date.
After booking your test, you will also receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
You will also receive your IELTS Reference Number to access the Test Taker Portal. Please make sure that you have included your email address correctly when you book your test.