The British Council has more than 75 years’ experience teaching and testing English. We have helped people in more than 130 countries gain English language qualifications that help them make the most of their chances in life. That’s a lot of experience, and it means that if you take an English language test with us, you can be confident that you’ll be well looked after.
Here are just a few reasons why millions of people have taken IELTS with the British Council:
- Expert support: from videos and books to online interactive courses, you have access to the best preparation materials to help you do well in your test
- Free resources: Road to IELTS is the British Council’s popular online preparation course. When you register for an IELTS test with us you also get access to 30 hours of free training.
- Convenient dates and locations: we have more than 500 test locations in over 100 countries. This means that you have a huge range of options for where and when you can take your test. .
- Easy booking: You can book your IELTS test online and pay by bank draft to British Council.
- Fast results: We guarantee you will be able to see your results online within just 13 days of the date you take your test.
- Special arrangements: your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any disability or special needs that you may have. Find out more about how we can facilitate your special arrangements by clicking on the SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT TAB below. Please note, you will need a medical certificate issued within the last two years at the time of registration.
Notice to applicants
- *Due to technical issues relating to online payment for IELTS test, we encourage candidates to pay offline for Standard IELTS, IELTS for UKVI and Life Skills test via bank draft raised in favour of British Council from any Nigerian bank.
- IELTS results can only be collected on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Candidates in Port Harcourt can only collect their results on Wednesdays.We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.
- Candidates are expected to upload a copy of the bio-data pages of their international passport into the system at the point of registering for the test. We will not process registration if candidates have failed to upload their international passport. Also note that we will not accept international passport sent via email.
- Some banks may charge various fees for online card transactions, we strongly advise that you check the policy of your relevant card issuing authority or check with your bank before proceeding with online payment. British Council does not charge/receive more than the required amount for the test.
- Test fee payment of NGN 68,000 is to be made by bank draft to British Council.