The Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT) is a test of professional knowledge about the teaching of English to speakers of other languages. The course is divided into three modules each testing a different area of knowledge which teachers of English need. Candidates can register for any module of their choice or all three at once. The test can be taken at any stage in a teacher’s career, and is designed to be relevant to:
- Pre-service teachers
- Teachers who wish to refresh their teaching knowledge
- Teachers who are moving to English language teaching after teaching another subject
- Teachers who have some experience of teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- Teachers who wish to formalise their knowledge by undertaking a Cambridge certificate course
TKT is a flexible and accessible test that can be taken at many times during the year – when 20 or more applications have been collected we submit entries to Cambridge who then sets the test date for approximately six weeks’ time.
Registration for TKT in Lagos, Abuja, Kano and Port Harcourt:
Download registration form in the Downloads Section below.
TKT Exams Modules
NGN14,450 per module
Step 1: Download the TKT application form in the downloads section below.
You will need to bring along with you one current passport sized photographs, a valid international passport (original only, no other form of ID is acceptable) and a photocopy of the information page(s) of your international passport.
Step 2: Fill in your details, sign and submit the application form to one of the exam centre staff. Please note:
- On the exam day your original international passport must match the copy attached to the completed application form.
- No PO Box/PMB/agent and/or international addresses will be accepted as correspondence addresses. Please write your address clearly.
- Candidates must sign their application form in person. No other person may sign on behalf of the candidate. Signing on behalf of a candidate will lead to automatic disqualification.
- If your family name has been changed because of a recent marriage, the name change must be entered in your international passport, or otherwise you can register in your maiden name. No other form of evidence is acceptable in the case of a name change.
Step 3: Pay the exam fee.
Payment is made by bank draft, drawn from any of the existing Nigerian banks, payable to British Council.
Please note that your application will not be processed until payment has been received.
Step 4: Confirmation
After you have registered, you will be notified of the test date six weeks before the time (once we have received up to 20 or more applications).
Further information about TKT is available at Cambridge ESOL Website